STMicroelectronics is installing abatement systems in its production sites to reduce perfluorinated compounds emissions…
STMicroelectronics met en place des groupes froid nouvelle génération ainsi que des systèmes de free cooling afin d’améliorer la performance énergétique de ses sites et de réduire leur consommation de gaz naturel.
Improve the energy performance of the industrial processes used and decarbonize the energy used on these sites.
This project includes two actions:
- The installation of refrigeration units with energy recovery, which offer two main advantages. Refrigeration units cool down the production equipment in the clean room more efficiently than the current units. The heat recovered from these refrigeration units is used to heat the sites’ offices, without having to use traditional town gas boilers.
- The installation of a free cooling system that uses the outside air to cool down the production equipment, thereby reducing the use of refrigeration units in the intermediate seasons.
The structural design phase began in Q4 2020 and the project will be completed in 2021.
Direct emissions generated by the company's activity.
Indirect emissions associated with the company's electricity and heat consumption.
Emissions induced (upstream or downstream) by the company's activities, products and/or services in its value chain.
Carbon sinks creation, (BECCS, CCU/S, …)
Emissions avoided by the activities, products and/or services in charge of the project, or by the financing of emission reduction projects.
Scope 1 - Lower use of gas boilers to heat clean rooms or offices
- Quantification: 1,300 tCO2/year
Scope 2 - The chillers and free cooling systems use less electricity
- Quantification: 300 tCO2/year
Using the heat produced by the operation of the cooling units lowers the consumption of natural gas (7.27 GWh[GCV]/year) or 1,338 tCO2/year (considering an emission factor of 184 tCO2/GWh GCV).
The increased efficiency of the chillers and the use of free cooling systems saves 6.9 GWh/year, which represents 300 tCO2/year considering an emission factor of 43 tCO2/GWh.
Installing new generation cooling systems contributes to the following Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
- SDG 7 Affordable and Clean affordable energy: lower energy use (heat recovery, and more efficient cooling units) and lower energy carbonation (free cooling from the outside air).
- SDG 9 Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure: improving the sustainability of ST’s industrial site, thanks to lower operating costs and reduced equipment obsolescence.
The chillers with heat recovery and free cooling systems can also be installed on other sites in Europe. The feasibility study is underway.
These systems can also be installed on sites outside Europe. The potential is equivalent to the total for Europe. The feasibility study will take place in 2021.
Two partnerships have been established with:
STM’s other projects :
Using GaN technology to reduce the power losses of power converters by half and divide their volume by three
STMicroelectronics is deploying GaN-on-Silicon technology to address the need for more energyefficient power electronics…