In order to reduce the carbon footprint of its real estate portfolio, which alone represents 38% of its GHG emissions, Korian has designed a low-carbon…
Le Groupe Korian has put in place a roadmap to reduce by 5% the volume of residual waste by 2023 and thus reduce associated greenhouse gas emissions.
Reduce residual waste by 5% by 2023 and contribute to the overall GHG reduction target of 40% by 2030 (vs. 2018)
To achieve this commitment, Korian has put in place a waste roadmap that meets the following operational objectives:
- Regulatory compliance
- Reducing the volume of residual waste produced
- Deploy and Improve Waste sorting in 100% of our sites
- Reducing the practice of landfilling and incineration for the end of life of our waste
Korian emits approximately 54,000 tons of waste each year (all types of waste combined).
Anxious to reduce its impact on the environment by reducing its waste production, Korian has launched a waste diagnosis in 2019 to establish a global inventory of its waste production.
Based on this diagnosis, a specific waste roadmap has been defined, with several operational objectives:
Upstream of the activity (supply)
- Purchase of products with reduced packaging
- Purchase of eco-designed / responsible products
- Raise suppliers awareness to produce with reduced packaging
- Raise suppliers awareness to produce more responsible packaging
Downstream of the activity (end of life of waste)
- Develop and standardise waste sorting in all sites in order to recycling and reduce the volume of residual waste destined for landfill or landfill or incineration
- Raising employee awareness of eco-actions
- Co-construct and collaborate with external partners in the deployment of responsible solutions (reuse of bulky items, composting solutions, etc.)
Direct emissions generated by the company's activity.
Indirect emissions associated with the company's electricity and heat consumption.
Emissions induced (upstream or downstream) by the company's activities, products and/or services in its value chain.
Carbon sinks creation, (BECCS, CCU/S, …)
Emissions avoided by the activities, products and/or services in charge of the project, or by the financing of emission reduction projects.
Scope 3 :
- Quantification : GHG emissions from waste represent approximately 3.2% of the Group's emissions, i.e. approximately 14,000 tCO2 per year. (Carbon footprint 2018). The roadmap aims to reduce the volume of waste by 5% in 3 years.
More information on the complete project sheet.
The Waste Roadmap contributes to the following SDGs:
- SDG 12 Responsible consumption and production: by reducing the Group’s waste production
- SDG 13 Action on climate change: by reducing CO2 emissions through the reduction and better sorting of waste
- SDG 17 Partnerships for achieving the goals
To replicate and extend the roadmap to other Group sites, it is necessary to:
- Set target by country
- Set tracking indicators
- Develop a platform/data for reporting
- Raising awareness and mobilize the Group
- Set an Operational Action Plan (CAPEX)
- Korian is assisted by Take a Waste to define the waste roadmap and operational objectives.
- HaltOGaspi assistance to perform a detailed diagnosis on food waste